Sunday 8 August 2010

Marske Beck

Sunday, 8th August
13K (8.3 Miles) - Time : 2.57 hrs
Map : Ordnance Survey OL30 (Northern and Central Dales)


Oh, the joys of high summer - high temperatures, high level walking and high spirits.  This was another Jack Keighley walk, although it was extended from the 5 1/4 miles in the guide book and, although it was a long drive to get there it was well worth it.

After some 50 miles of motoring the walks starts just outside the hamlet of Marske (GR 102004) between Leyburn and Richmond. A hop over the bridge and a stile offers itself alongside the beck which take you through a wooded area to emerge, eventually, onto a path that takes you through Clints Wood.  This is seemingly, run of the mill countryside until you emerge from the wood into the glory of the Dales with a steep sided valley and views of the limestone Clints Scar above. 

A short while further on and you descend to the valley bottom and the chane to visit Orgate Force .  Whilst not the most spectacular of falls compared to some it is, nevertheless, a delight. Although a word of caution after rainfall (which we have had in abundance over the last few days) - the rocks and paths can be slippery as I found out to my expense when trying to find the perfect angle for a photograph.  Had it been published it would have been of the trees with the sky above !! Slightly sore back and grazed knuckles are the result og concentrating too much of what I wanted to see, rather then where I was putting my feet.

After the delights of Orgate the next setion is a slog along a rough track, heading for Telfit Farm.  If this section is a slog, the next is sheer delight as you round the brow of the hill and take a path which hugs the contours above the beck itself.  For a brief section the walk was in perfect tranquility - peace and calm with hardly a cloud in the sky. 

Luchtime was taken just above Helwith (GR 074029). One is always tempted to envy the folks who live in these isolated farmhouses but (as I always remind Gill and myself) what must it be like in the depths of winter?  At this point Keighley's walk turns it back on the beck to climb back over the moor.  I, however, carried on alongside the beck and past Prys House (complete with dead, rotting sheep) and then cut back up past Low Greenas and High Greenas.  This gave out onto fantastic heather covered moorland eventually joining back with the published route.

The last section of the walk is a straightforward descent from the moor down a steep, rocky path and then through pasture until you rejoin the outer route just past Pillmire Bridge and back to the car.

On a personal note, I did this walk on my own as Gill is in Florida to witness Hannah (my eldest daughter) getting married to Alex.  I wish both of them the most deep felt and sincere congratulations. I hope the future brings them both happiness and fulfilment.  Times will not always be easy but I hope the love and affection they have for each other will see them through difficult times and, believe me, they are soon forgotten and it is the good times that are remembered.  They both have my love.  By the way the "proper" wedding is next year !!

As I write this, slightly sore from my fall, I think back on a wonderful day, in glorious scenery with fantastic weather - my heart is soaring !

Usual bunch of photographs here (apart from the falling down shot!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment