Friday 2 April 2010

How Steen Gorge & Nidderdale

Friday, 2nd April - 6 Miles

Good Friday and my 55th birthday. Gill and I set of reasonably early and drove the 28 miles up into Nidderdale for this walk that came from Jack Keighley. The book "Walks in the Yorkshire Dales" is an updated version of the one that I have but this walk entitled "The Caves and Gorges of Nidderdale" is included in it. I also had the Ordnance Survey Explorer 26 - Nidderdale with me, The day was less than promising with low cloud and mist when we set off but the countryside that we walked through soon let us forget that, although considering it is the beginning of April is was still pretty nippy. We parked near the small village of Lofthouse (GR 098734).

First on the intinerary was a visit to How Steen Gorge. Again, I have to admit that whilst I'm a born and bred Yorkshireman I've never visited this beauty spot before. It's a pretty hefty £5.50 per. person entrance fee and, if I'm honest, not worth it !! Why do we seem to charge so much for simple pleasures in this country ? Surely one of the pleasures of walking it that it costs nothing - or, are my Yorkshire instincts getting the better of me! Anyway, we paid up and tried to spend as long as possible in the gorge !

The walk proper can only be described as a pretty strenuous six miles. In particular the pull from How Steen up to the village of Middlesmoor and the stretch at the half way point by Manchester Hole really got the lungs and calves screaming for some respite ! Of course the pay back was some pretty stunning views along Nidderdale. Sadly, these probably don't come out too well in the photos as the weather was not conducive to photography.

After passing through Middlesmoor the walk hugs the side of the valley, pretty high up, until you drop down to the floor of the valley at Limley Farm. Just past the farm are the entrances to a couple of caves - I couldn't resist going down into Manchester Hole (GR: 101763), although the flowers laid at the entrance suggest that a full descent may be more dangerous than messing about in the entrance as I did. After the steep climb just after the pothole the return journey to Lofthouse is via. the Nidderdale Way, although it was a little muddy after the rain we've had recently. The final section takes you past Lofthouse and Middlesmoore Cricket ground - surely one of the smallest cricket grounds I've ever seen. I think that batsmen will certainly have the advantage, even though there is a pretty steep slope on one side of the wicket !

Despite the overcast and murky conditions this was a fantastic morning out in the countryside and well worth the drive! That's the first six miles of the month as Gill and I try to walk a "Marathon a Month" !

Photos of the walk are available from this link

No comments:

Post a Comment