Wednesday 17 August 2011

Malham Round

Wednesday, 17th August
15.9k (9.8 miles) - 4hr 15min
OL10 - Yorkshire Dales - Southern Area.


I've often wondered why this walk is referred to as "Malham's Big 3" when, for me Janet's Foss (pictured above) is equally impressive ? Still, I don't write the books, I just do the walks!
Well, this was the last day of my holiday, so Gill and I decided to escape for the day and managed to get up to Malham before the rush started (and also managed to get free parking on the verge, rather than paying - true Yorkshireman you see!).
This walk hardly needs to be narrated since it is in nearly every book that's been written about the Dales.  It's also extremely well signposted.  But, for the record, we visited Janet's Foss before going up to see Gordale Scar
Gill, wasn't up to scrambling up the waterfall (and, to be honest, neither was I).  So, we went back down the gorge and took the (rather) direct route up New Close Knott - a pretty stiff climb, although it turns out it's only 150 mtrs climb (although it was in about a kilometre).
From the top of the Knott we struck out for the Tarn, making a small detour down Mastiles Lane to pick up a cache (delightfully named "Cerritus Securiferus" after the Roman Marching Camp which is close to the cache site). After the detour the Tarn was quickly upon us and a second cache find of the day.
From the Tarn the final leg takes you across and down Watlowes (the Dry Valley) before emerging onto the top of the Cove and the famous limestone pavement.
Finally, those steps.....wonderful if, like us, you are going down them but not so wonderful for those puffing and pulling themselves up them !
So, to Malham and after just over four hours a very welcome cup of coffee in one of the many cafes that always seem full.

An aboslutely excellent days walking.  I've walked Malham so many times, yet it never disappoints. Today was no exception......just hope I'll be able to get up for work in the morning as I've done 18 miles in two days !  Selection of photos available - thankfully I remembered my camera this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment